Steampunk Mickey With Resin Clay

It is Monday and I wanted to share with you a fun weekend project.  This is my salute to "Steampunk Mickey."
The pocket watch pendant was easy to create because I have so many Mickey Mouse embellishments in my collection.  As a regular Disney visitor, I have accumulated a fair number of trinkets.  In the last few years I have started to collect some of their jewelry items because I can break them up and use them as individual components.  These earring have dozens of Mickey heads to work with!
I have been collecting their pins for thirty years.  Each year they are getting more beautiful and intricate. I wanted to showcase a few of these pins in my regular jewelry-making projects.  Otherwise, they just gather dust in my display.
The steampunk Mickey pin was a little pricey.  (It was totally worth it.)   The pin is metal and heavy.  I filled my pocket watch pendant with Jewelry Clay to create a good base to embed my embellishments.
I added an extra dollop of Jewelry Clay to the area I was embedding my pin.  This made sure that my pin was truly embedded and that the Mickey head had good adhesion too.
Once Mickey was in place all I did was have fun adding my extra findings and embellishments.  
When everything was in place I brushed some green powder over the surface of the entire project.  These pigments will only cling to the wet clay, so I don't worry about brushing the excess powder away until my project is completely cured. (24 hours)
I hope you like Steampunk Mickey!

Labels: , , ,