Doll Mold with EasyMold

 This is a new mold and a new project for me this week.
 I bought these figurines in Paris last April in a $5Euro bin in the antique market.  They were on the roughed up side but I just loved them.
I needed to cut away all the glued on ribbon and floral materials.  I have a plan for this doll so before I use it I wanted to make a mold of it.
I have quite a few mold-making how-tos on this blog featuring EasyMold.  I have also created a short video for ETI showing you how to use it.
 I decided to make a half mold.  In the future I want to be able to use this doll shape against a flat background.
 You can see that my original doll is quite scuffed up where I had to pry away the glue.  The mold will duplicate all of that detail, so if I did not want those lines I would need to sand it away now before I placed the doll into the EasyMold.
 A mold made with EasyMold needs to rest for 24 hours before you can pour resin into it.  After 24 hours I made a batch of EasyCast resin and added white pigment colour to it.  This first pour is always my test pour.  This is when I discover if I made my mold properly.
A test mold also gets rid of any dust or dirt that may have been transferred from your original object.  You can see some dirt in her hair.  Note that bottom has perfectly replicated the rough edges on the original too.  
So, my first pour is a success.  Now I shall start making duplicates!

Labels: , , , ,